This second #Recipe Makeover post just might be one of my all-time new favorite recipes: healthy whole grain scones. I totally love scones, despite the fact that they rely so heavily on butter and cream to make them so light and fluffy and delectable. As I’m trying to eat healthier, I recognize that scones need to be a sometimes and very rarely only treat. That’s why the sponsorship of this week’s #Recipe Makeover by Barlean’s made me so incredibly happy. Barlean’s generously sent us bloggers two of the most awesome products ever: organic butter flavored coconut oil and Barlean’s Digestive Blend.
When I opened up the butter flavored coconut oil, the first thing that came to my mind was, hm – that would be super yummy on popcorn (it is, by the way). The second thing that came to mind when I read the information about it was, hm – it can be used one-to-one as a butter substitute. If I was going to be refashioning an existing recipe to make it healthier, I’d definitely want to try to improve on my scones. The Barlean’s butter flavored coconut oil is an amazing substitute, because indeed, it does act just like butter.
I decided to use both products in one to make these healthy whole grain scones. The digestive blend with its spectacular blend of flaxseed, chia seeds, coconut, pumpkin, and quinoa sounded like the perfect addition to a whole grain scone. I used half and half instead of whole cream and whole wheat flour instead of unbleached white flour.
These healthy whole grain scones are super easy to put together and bake quickly. In about 30 minutes, you’ll have fresh hot scones. I discovered that the Barlean’s butter flavored coconut oil is lovely spread on a split scone. It also completely behaves like butter if you warm it up in the microwave, making these a great accompaniment to a salad at lunch.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup Barlean’s Digestive Blend
- ½ cup Barlean’s butter flavored coconut oil (in solid form)
- ½ cup + 1 tablespoon half and half
- 1 egg
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper (or use a spray oil to lightly coat).
- Combine all the dry ingredients (from the whole wheat flour to the Digestive Blend). Add the butter flavored coconut oil, half and half, and egg and combine until the dough just comes together.
- Shape into a circle. Starting from the center, make eight cuts to form eight scones. Pull the scones slightly apart from one another. Bake for 20 – 30 minutes or until the scones are lightly brown on the bottom. Enjoy!