I have plenty of thyme to wrap up #CookoutWeek2017, so I’m celebrating with a thyme cucumber martini and trying so hard to resist all the possible thyme puns that have been running through my head all week. Yep, I have too much thyme on my hands.
Ok – now that I’ve gotten that out of my system. As I mentioned earlier this week, we’ve been getting herbs each week in our CSA basket. This week, we got a very full bunch of thyme. I decided that, rather than aiming for savory dishes with thyme, I was going for sweet. I’d done a little catch-up on one of my favorite podcasts last week (Martinis and Murder) and one of the martinis from the show included gin and St. Germain liqueur. St. Germain is one of my favorites – it’s a sweet liqueur made from elderflowers. It pairs so well with gin. I decided to mix it up with some cucumber and thyme simple syrup and just a touch of lemon juice.
This thyme cucumber martini is a perfect light cocktail that would go well with grilled salmon or chicken. It’s a great cocktail for sitting out on the patio and reading a book, too. Trust me, I’d know. I love the slight hint of cucumber – it pairs beautifully with both the gin and the St. Germain. The thyme isn’t an overwhelming flavor here – rather, it complements all the other flavors.
- 10 or so thyme stems
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- three slices of cucumber
- 2 ounces gin
- 1 ounce St. Germain
- 1/2 ounce thyme simple syrup
- Combine the thyme, sugar, and water in a small saucepan. Heat to a low simmer, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Set aside to cool for two to three hours. Strain and refrigerate the simple syrup.
- Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker over ice. Shake and strain. Enjoy!
- Serves 1
It’s not too late to enter the fabulous giveaway featuring products from the brands who have made #CookoutWeek possible! You can enter below to win:
- From blog host The PinterTest Kitchen: $100 Amazon gift card, to use to buy all the supplies you need for your next cookout
- From our sponsor The French Farm: A gift pack of gourmet products hand-crafted by small businesses and using only the finest ingredients – La Favorita Genovese Pesto, Caprichos del Guadalquivir Cadenera Orange Marmalade, and L’Abeille Occitane Lavender Honey
- From our sponsor Smokin’-Os: A sampler pack of their “smokin’-os” wood rings, to help you add wood-fired, smokey taste to your grilled foods, even if you don’t own a smoker
- From our sponsor Primal Kitchen: $200 of Primal Kitchen goodies, including condiments made with avocado oil and bars and shakes with grass-fed collagen
- From our sponsor Langers Juice Company: Your choice of 10 bottles of Langers Juice, with flavors including traditional Apple and Grape, as well as interesting mixes such as Pineapple Orange Coconut, Cranberry Blood Orange, and Mango Peach
- From our sponsor True Made Foods: A 3-bottle sampler pack of sauces with real flavors made from real vegetables and less sugar – Ketchup, BBQ, and Veracha
This prize pack has an ARV of over $400! You have until July 1 at 11:59 PM to enter by following our sponsors and bloggers on social media: