I’ll also be enjoying my instant hot chocolate mix. I’ll confess – one of my all time favorite things when I was growing up was the instant hot chocolate that came in packets and had those little mini-marshmallows in them. Nowadays, I’m a little fussier about what I eat and, unfortunately, that packet hot chocolate has some ingredients in it I’m not so likely to want to drink. I discovered a few years ago that I could, with just a few ingredients, easily make my own instant hot chocolate. So around this time of year, I love making up a large batch for both home and work.
#Choctoberfest motivated me to make my instant hot chocolate early this year. And then, because it was almost the weekend, I opted to add in some hazelnut liqueur, along with little bit of a secret ingredient: a half ounce of Godiva chocolate liqueur. It’s not absolutely necessary for this recipe, but if you have some on hand, definitely toss it in. Best yet, make up some fresh whipped cream with just a dash of hazelnut liqueur.
Here’s my advice for enjoying this hazelnut liqueur hot chocolate: get into a comfy sweater. Pull out a good book (here of late, Louise Penny, Janet Evanovich, and JD Robb have been my favorite writers for cozy weekends). Snuggle with the nearest pet. Enjoy!
- 1 cup cocoa
- 2 cups powdered milk
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/8 cup homemade instant hot chocolate
- 2 ounces hazelnut liqueur
- 1/2 ounce Godiva chocolate liqueur
- whipped cream
- Make the homemade instant hot chocolate mix by sifting all the ingredients together. Store in a jar with a tight fitting lid. Makes 6 cups of instant hot chocolate.
- Combine 1/8 cup of homemade instant hot chocolate with hazelnut liqueur and Godiva chocolate liqueur. Add 8 ounces of boiling hot water and stir to combine. Serve with whip creamed if desired. Enjoy!