We’ve been moved into our new place for almost three weeks now and I’m almost at a point where I can sort of find enough of my cooking utensils to make my lunch – this asparagus tofu green curry. I’m really happy about having a full week of lunch. The last two weeks, I’ve done a combination of leftovers and the occasional Amy’s frozen entrée – fine, but not optimal. We’ve been spending a lot of time just trying to figure out the basics, like where to shop for groceries and who has the best produce. The farmer’s market where we live is held on Wednesdays, and, theoretically, I could make it to the market and back on my lunch break. And once I’ve been on the job for more than a few weeks, this might go from theoretical to reality. For now, however, I’m making the most of our natural foods co-op’s produce section.
I’ve made variations on this asparagus tofu green curry in the past. It’s a versatile recipe – you could throw just about any veggie in here, as well as could add chicken instead of tofu. You could also make your own green curry, but given that I can’t find anything, including my immersion blender, I went with store bought.
I used a half-block of extra firm tofu for this asparagus tofu green curry. I went through the process of actually pressing and draining it to get it a bit firmer and then browned the cubes in olive oil in our cast iron pan. I froze the other half of the block of tofu – no idea what I’m going to do with it. I probably could have used the whole thing for this recipe, but I didn’t want a disproportionate amount of tofu to asparagus. I’m weird about things like that.
Here’s to a well-fed week.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ block of extra firm tofu, pressed and drained, and cut into 2 inch cubes
- ½ pound of asparagus, cut into 1 or 2 inch pieces
- 3 teaspoons of green curry paste
- 1 can of low-fat or lite coconut milk
- 2 cups cooked rice
- Heat the olive oil in a cast iron skillet or non-stick skillet. Brown the tofu on at least two sides. Move the tofu aside and add the asparagus. Saute for two-three minutes.
- In a saucepan, combine the green curry paste and coconut milk. Heat to a low simmer and add the tofu and asparagus. Simmer for 3 minutes.
- Serve over rice.
- Serves 4. Enjoy!