Macadamia Coconut Chocolate Mini Muffins are my anecdote to winter weather, which I’ve had enough of to last me several years. I know I’m not the only one feeling this way – it’s been a brutal winter across the US. We do have tulips and daffodils poking their heads out of the ground finally. I had a moment this morning where there was that elusive hint of spring in the air. Still, I think real spring is about a month away still. So for now, I’m going to spend lots of time fantasizing about tropical beaches and warm weather.
I have some very happy associations with the flavors in these muffins: macadamia nuts, coconut, and chocolate. I lived in Majuro in the Marshall Islands for two years, fourteen years ago this year. I will never forget my trip to get there. For one, I had never flown by myself before and I was absolutely petrified of flying as it was. I remember the fear I felt getting on the plane to Honolulu, which was my intermediary stop between the US and there. But I also remember landing in Honolulu and being so overwhelmed by how beautiful it was. I was exhausted that first night, so went to the corner ABC store and bought a tuna fish sandwich, Maui chips, a papaya salad, and chocolate covered macadamia nuts. I flew back and forth through Honolulu during that two year time stretch, and that meal became my Honolulu ritual.
So anytime I’m feeling dreary here in the PNW, I’ll do my best to catch those flavors again. Macadamia coconut chocolate mini muffins are a great way for me to lose myself to the sounds of the ocean and feel of that beautiful humid air in Hawaii.
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup Greek yogurt (plain or honey flavored)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped macadamia nuts (unsalted)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips (or chocolate chunks, chopped into smaller pieces)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream the butter and sugar in a medium sized bowl. Add the eggs, vanilla, and Greek yogurt and mix.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients a bit at a time until all the dry ingredients are combined.
- Add the macadamia nuts, flaked coconut, and chocolate. Stir to combine.
- Butter or line each cup of a mini-muffin pan. Spoon a tablespoon of the muffin batter into each cup. If your pan only makes 24 mini-muffins, you'll need to make two batches as this recipe easily makes 36 - 48 mini-muffins.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until a knife or toothpick entered into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Makes 36 - 48 mini-muffins