If you are looking for a quick and easy breakfast or lunch for the week, look no further than these asparagus potato frittata bites. This is a great way to use up excess asparagus (is there such a thing?), as well as any extra potatoes you might have lying around. These asparagus potato frittata bites are very freezer friendly – which means you can just toss them in the microwave first thing in the morning or for lunch and have food ready to go in no time at all.
We’re officially in an in between time – I’m wrapping up one job and getting ready to start on a new adventure in May. It’s made meal planning a little tricky, as I’m trying to use as few dishes as physically possible. I just don’t need one more load of dishes on top of sorting and packing up the kitchen. On the other hand, I still need to eat lunch when I’m at my desk for this last week, so these asparagus potato frittata bites are just the thing. I’m eating these with a green salad and calling it a healthy week. These are incredibly easy to make – roast some diced potato, chop up some asparagus, grate some cheese and pour beaten eggs over it all. I use a muffin tin (either non-stick or really well greased). In thirty minutes, I have one component of a really quick meal. I put these on a cookie sheet and freeze them and then put them in a freezer bag (this way, they don’t run the risk of sticking together).
One of the best parts of this upcoming move is that I’ll have access to a couple of farmers that I left behind the last time we moved. It makes me so happy to be able to go back to shopping local. While we have a really big farmer’s market where we currently live, I never felt like I was able to make the same connection with the farmers as I had when I was in Southern Oregon. We’re heading to the same region, so I’m excited about that. And, even better, it’s coastal – so fresh local seafood! Once we get settled, it will be easier for me to take stock of what my options are going to be. In the meantime, I’ll finish out what we have in the freezer, including the rest of the asparagus potato frittata bites.
- 1 small potato, cut into small cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ bunch asparagus, cut into ½ inch diced pieces
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese or similar
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped chives (optional)
- 6 eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place the diced potatoes on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Drizzle the potatoes with olive oil and roast for 30 minutes or until soft.
- Divide the potatoes, asparagus, cheese and chives between the six cups of a well-greased muffin tin. Beat the eggs with the water, salt and pepper until frothy. Pour the egg mixture into each cup.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a knife inserted in the middle of the egg comes out clean.