This month, for Food ‘N Flix, I’m sharing freezer egg, potato and bacon burritos. I was inspired this month by the movie The Martian. And while potatoes might have been an obvious one for this movie, I couldn’t resist, since they are without a doubt one of my favorite foods. A favorite story definitely deserves a favorite food.
So in case you haven’t seen or read The Martian, it is, in short, an amazing story about the possibilities and beauty of science. The book by Andy Weir came out in 2014. I adore sci fi, having grown up on reading Ray Bradbury, Isaac Asimov, and Robert Heinlein. When I saw The Martian in the bookstore, I snapped it up quickly and spent a happy weekend lounging on the couch and reading it.
I was skeptical about how good the movie would be. I’m a hard critic when it comes to movies that started as books. It turned out that I also loved the movie. Matt Damon plays Mark Watney, an astronaut left behind on Mars after a dust storm forces a mission abort. The crew of the Ares III mission believe Watney to be dead, so leave him behind. This starts his journey of survival until the Ares crew comes back to rescue him. There’s lots of NASA control room drama that goes on throughout, in addition to following Watney’s path to survival. It’s such a great pop-some-popcorn-and-stretch-out-on-the-couch-with-the-dog movie.
Potatoes factor heavily into the plot line, as Watney survives by growing potatoes. Now in fairness, I would imagine Watney would probably not ever want to eat a potato again. I probably wouldn’t want to either, and I really love potatoes. Still, I wanted to do a shout out recipe to the humble spud. These freezer egg, potato and bacon burritos are one of my favorite foods. You might have guessed that they can be frozen – which makes them a perfect breakfast or lunch on the go food.
I opted to use these pretty blue, red, and yellow potatoes. I don’t really notice much difference in flavor between potato types. That said, I love the fact that potatoes come in so many varieties, so tend to cook with a mix.
The potatoes get mixed with a chopped up onion and roasted until they are crispy. It doesn’t get much better than this.
I like to serve these with some salsa and some guacamole on the side (but wouldn’t you know it – none of my avocados were ripe when I made these). I’m going to enjoy these freezer egg, potato and bacon burritos for lunch this week and imagine being on Mars.
- 8 small potatoes, washed and sliced into small chunks
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 pieces of crispy bacon
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- 8 large flour tortillas
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. On a parchment lined cookie sheet, combine the chopped potatoes, chopped onion, salt, and 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Bake for 30 minutes, turning once half way through the cooking time.
- Meanwhile, combine the eggs, milk, cumin, coriander and ground black pepper. Use a fork or a whisk to combine until the eggs are fluffy. Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large non-stick or cast iron pan over medium heat. Pour the egg mixture into the skillet and allow to set. When the eggs are nearly cooked through, fold and cook until they are fully set, gently scrambling. Set aside.
- To make the burritos, place 1/8th of the scrambled eggs in the middle of a tortilla. Put 1 piece of bacon on top of the egg. Put 1/8th of the roasted potatoes on top of the egg and bacon. Sprinkle 1/4 cup of cheese on top. Roll the burrito by folding up the top and bottom and then rolling the remaining tortilla over the folded part.
- Roll the burritos in aluminum foil and freeze. To reheat, remove the aluminum foil and wrap the burrito in a paper towel. Microwave until warm and serve with salsa and guacamole if desired.
- Makes 8 burritos.